Saturday, September 9, 2017

The Austrian Empress and the Russian Grand Duchess

 

"The Grand Duchess was always terribly interested in everything that concerned the Austrian Empress. Perhaps, some envy played a part in this, since the Empress was famous for her beauty. So, for example, the Grand Duchess often asked: "Is my hair as beautiful as the Empress? Do you not find that I am like her?" I remember how she once interrogated someone who has newly returned from Vienna, where he was traveling with an order to Emperor Franz Joseph, Adjutant-General von Stühler: "Who is more beautiful, the Austrian empress or I?" General Stühler, slightly embarrassed, replied: "If the Austrian empress is the most beautiful woman on Earth, your Highness is undoubtedly the most beautiful princess! "The Grand Duchess was satisfied with this answer."

--From the "Memories of a Shipwrecked World" by Countess Kleinmichel.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I stumbled upon this lovely site a year ago and I couldn't be happier! I adore this post and the accounts so very much! it's so magical , It makes me so very happy to come here! Please keep up the good work I enjoy reading about these fascinating women, these accounts do them a lot of justice :)

Anonymous said...


Hello, do you know where I can find information about Maria Ivanovna Lopukhina?.

Gem said...

Hello @Asa Asura! Thank you for your lovely message!

Unknown said...

I am totally a new fan of your page and writing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Powered by Blogger